One More Day Till Friday
Leon Hall Named to Playboy's 2006 Pre-Season All-American Team
According to NFL.com Leon Hall was recently named to Playboy's Pre-Season All-American Team. If you've seen the list over the past few years, Playboy knows what it's talking about, so hopefully Hall's inclusion means great things are in his future.
Reading the article had me scratching my head though. Playboy ships the All-American team out to Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort in Phoenix and ran all kinds of weird games and competitions. These included the Water Olympics and a Cowboy party. Um. Okay.
Leon Hall was named "Guy you'd want your daughter to marry". Bizarre.
Regents to Meet About the New Luxury Boxes
According to the Detroit News, the University of Michigan Regents will meet today and tomorrow to discuss proposals for repair and expansion of the Michigan Stadium Press Box and the addition of luxury suites to the stadium. Town jackass John Pollack got his name in the paper again complaining the suites would segregate the rich and the poor. Well, DUH! This has been covered ad nauseum, but how is this a bad thing? If I don't have to sit next to Grandpa McSnootypants its better for both of us. Put his old wrinkled ass in the press box so I can yell things and he doesn't have to be appalled by them.
Thankfully, even if the regents vote down the luxury box additions, the improvements to stadium concessions, bathrooms, seating, and Press Box are going to go through.
If you want to support the luxury box proposal email the regents directly at the links below:
University of Michigan Regents
- David A. Brandon, Domino’s Pizza, Inc., 30 Frank Lloyd Wright Drive, P.O. Box 997, Ann Arbor, MI 48106-0997 Phone: (734) 930-3006 Email: mailto:email@example.com
- Laurence B. Deitch, Bodman LLP, 34th Floor, 100 Renaissance Center, Detroit, MI 48243 Phone: (313) 392-1055 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Olivia P. Maynard, Northbank Center, Suite 406, 432 N. Saginaw Street, Flint, MI 48502 Phone: (810) 239-1535 Email: email@example.com
- Rebecca McGowan, 2210 Melrose Avenue, Ann Arbor, MI 48104 Phone: (734) 668-8873 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Andrea Fischer Newman, Senior Vice President-Government Affairs, Northwest Airlines, Detroit Metropolitan Airport, 2601 WorldGateway Place, Detroit, MI 48242 Email: email@example.com
- Andrew C. Richner, Clark Hill PLC, 500 Woodward Ave., Suite 3500, Detroit, MI 48226-3435 Phone: (313) 965-8531 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- S. Martin Taylor, 43 Beacon Hill Road, Grosse Pointe Farms, MI 48236 Email: email@example.com
- Katherine E. White, P.O. Box 1842, Ann Arbor, MI 48106-1842 Phone: (313) 577-1054 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you've got the time, please email them in support of the luxury box development. Let them know that loudmouths such as Pollack don't speak for the majority of Michigan fans. Let them know that we support the economic stability of Michigan athletics. And let them know that as alums and fans we are far more concerned with the quality of the teams on the field than whether or not corporations or wealthy donors have the option of watching Michigan football from a luxury box.
Michigan Basketball Update: Scottie Reynolds Still Undecided
Ask and you shall receive. After weeks of my complaining, Scout and Rivals got off their butts and got us some Reynolds updates. There are new stories up, but they're on the premium boards. Being the cheap ass that I am, I don't subscribe to their services, but I do check their headlines regularly.
Scout's headlines simply state that Reynolds is at six schools, even after a visit to Nova. Rivals says the same. If he's in no rush to make a decision that could be a good thing for Michigan, but like I've said before, I'm not holding my breath. At a minimum, based on his visits and previously stated interest, we're looking at LSU, Nova, Illinois, and G-Town. Oh, and Michigan. There was talk UConn was in the mix too, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.
The late signing period recently came to a close, but I'd still expect a decision to be made relatively soon.
Things That Make You Think Twice About Sports
Finally, the Detroit Free Press ran a front-of-the-site story on a Detroit area high school track coach who was recently indicted and sentenced to between 56 months to 7 years for throwing keggers, distributing porn, and having sex parties for his students. The story is incredibly disturbing, but of vital importance to read if you have children, younger siblings, or close family members in junior high or high school.
What worries me the most in reading this story was how long to bring this guy to justice. Parents and teachers who knew what was happening stood by and did nothing. This story is another reminder of how important it is to be involved in your children's lives and to know what's going on with their activities.