Friday, June 30, 2006

Men of the Square Table

Answer's to EDSBS Roundtable Questions

Stranko got bored. Two Blogpoll Roundtables in two weeks? Unprecedented. Here goes. Sorry for the lack of pictures to supplement my answers, blogger doesn't want to let me upload them.

1. Education. List the region of the country you were born in, what universities you attended and at least one other you would have attended if your alma mater didn’t exist.

Somewhat like Brian, I'm a bit of a vagabond myself. So these answers may seem a tad disjointed.

Birth: Born on the Chessapeake Bay in Baltimore, MD.

Education:
Undergrad: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan. BA in Political Science with minors in hockey, beer, and being a jackass.
Law School: DePaul University College of Law, in Chicago, Illinois. J.D. with minors in hockey, beer, and being a jackass.

Alternative Schooling: Had Michigan not accepted me, which judging by my resulting grade point they shouldn't have, I was all set to go to USC. Deposit paid and everything. Song Girls, the beach, Compton. Ah, what could have been.

Having traveled out to Seattle for the 2001 Michigan/U-Dub game with close friends who happened to be Huskies, I too fell in love with the Univeristy of Washington. Husky Stadium, while lacking in volume and numbers what Michigan Stadium has to offer, is hands down the most beautiful stadium I have ever watched a football game in. One of the endzones opens up onto the Sound and a gorgeous white seaplane with a purple "W" emblazeoned on its side takes off and lands in the middle of a pristine Saturday afternoon. Stunning. Had DePaul not accepted me (and had I not applied ten minutes before the start of fall term four years ago), I would've gone to Washington for law school.

2. Sports Affiliations. List your top 10 favorite teams in all of sports in decending order. For instance, your alma mater’s football team may be number 1, but perhaps there is a professional team that squeezes in before you get to your alma mater’s lacrosse team.

A. The Baltimore Orioles - I can't help it. First game at four months. 1979 ALCS. 1983 World Champions. Cal, Sr. Cal, Jr. Eddie. Boog. Brooks. Billy Ripken (one of my all-time favorite baseball players). Rick Dempsey. El Sid. Palmer. Weaver. I was hooked before birth. My Grandparents (both of them) were huge Birds fans. My Dad still has trouble breathing when he realizes the season is over. I'm hopeless. I'll watch the Orioles play even if the team is composed of Sudanese midgets in tutus. Actually, I'd watch that no matter what, but you get the picture.

B. Michigan Football - "You're going to give yourself an anurism!" The words of my wife during the season from hell as I screamed obsenities and threw pretzles at the TV screen. Other than the Orioles, the only team on this planet that has caused me more pure frustation or given me more joy (sports related) is Michigan Football. I love the stadium. I love the fans. I love the crappy concession stands. I love the feeling that every game you honestly have no idea what is going to happen. I love the anticipation. The tradition. The Band. The run from the Tunnel and the Leap to the Banner. I love the Helmets. The Rivaly. The expectation that every year could be a National Championship. I love the feeling that if its not, something is wrong and needs fixing. I love the expectations. How much every fan and alum cares. I love it all.

Oh and I love the fact I can turn to my wife and say, "oh really? When was the last time Notre Dame won a National Championship?" If Charlie Weiss takes that away from me I'll snap.

C. The Chicago Cubs - I hate Dusty Baker. Let me say that up front. I actually root for the Cubs to lose so he gets fired. I want them to be a team again. I want to look at the team and see a group that cares. I love the Cubs. I positively hate this incarnation.

D. Da Bears - Sweetness. And this.

E. Michigan Basketball - Have you been reading the site? Further proof that abusive prelationships are the hardest to get out of.

F. Michigan Hockey - Used to be a lot higher. Time and distance have made it nearly impossible to follow the Icers over the past few years. I lived and died by this team in college, and they rewarded my attention with two national championships. I still follow as closely as possible, but its hard to get the games here in Chicago. Thankfully Brian and Yost Built have made it easier.

G. Chicago Blackhawks - Still love them. Utterly and totally incompetent. The games resemble a monkey shit fight at the zoo. GM is useless. Coach is clueless. Owner is evil incarnate. My team!

H. A plethora of different teams. (yeeeeas El Guapo.)

3. Movies. List the movie you’ve watched the most, your favorite sports related movie, the movie you secretly love but don’t like to admit it (possibly a chick flick or b film), and the movie you were (or still are) most looking forward to from this summer’s season.

Most Watched: Two different ones...
Most Watched All-Time - The Blues Brothers. Best movie ever made. Period.
Most Watched Recently - 40 Year Old Virgin. "I don't wanna cram pimpage."

Favorite Sports Movie: Slap Shot. "Reg that reminds me. I was coaching in Omaha when Eddie Shore sends me this guy that was a teribble maserbater. You know. Could control himself. Damned if he would get diliberate penalties and get int there all by himself and hmm hmm hmm..."
Close Second - Bull Durham. Chick flick my ass. Crash Davis is my favorite character in cinematic history.

Movie of Shame: Roadhouse. Goddamn Kelly Lynch was hott back in the day.

4. Music. List your favorite band from middle school, high school, college and today. Also, as with the movies, include the song you secretly love but don’t like to admit. If Nickleback is involved in any of these responses, please give a detailed explanation as to why, god, why.

Middle school: Depeche Mode.

High school: Lynyrd Skynyrd

College: Motley Crue, G Love & Special Sauce, Tribe Called Quest

Shamelove song: "I Want it That Way" by Backstreet. Chicks dig it, so I learned it. I learned it too well.

Ecletic isn't it?

5. Books. Favorite book you’ve finished, worst book you’ve finished and the book you really should read but haven’t gotten around to it.

Favorite: The Sun Also Rises. Re-read it constantly. Also "A Star Called Henry". The Irish version of Forrest Gump, except without the happiness. Phenomenal.

Worst: 'Tis by Frank McCourt. A festering pile of self pity. He's what's wrong with my people.

Book we should read but haven’t: A Brief History of Time by Steven Hawking (Started it twice, and something else always got in the way).

6. Travel. Favorite city you’ve every been to and the one place you still must visit before you shuffle off this mortal coil.

Fave city: Chicago. Close second Munchen, Germany.

City we need to go to: Prague. I never went "to find myself" in college.

7. What do you love most about college football in 20 words or less?

Everything!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home