Thursday, June 15, 2006

Thursday's Hearsay and Conjecture

Too Lazy To Buy Your Own College Football Previews?

Don't worry, the Detroit News has your back. With over two thousand pages of material to sift through, this is all they got from Athlon, Lindy's, Sporting News, and Phil Steele.

Nothing earth shattering. Michigan could be good or bad. OMG Ohio State. OMG Notre Dame. Consensus 2nd in the Big Ten (except the Sporting News [4th?!]). Consensus 9-3 season. Consensus 11th in Nation. Whup-de-do. Sporting News also has us losing to PSU. I don't get that. They're on my list anyway for their lackluster NHL coverage (SI too, you bastards), so to hell with them.

New Roundtable Up

Some excellent roundtable questions have been posed by Bruce Ciskie. Once I've had time to digest them and formulate answers (e.g., tomorrow), I'll post them. If you haven't seen them already, Kyle, I'm a Realist, and Burnt Orange Nation already have their answers posted. Excellent reads, all.

It's Time For Omaha!

Sweetness. The College World Series is upon us. So is my cable guy. HDTV connectors in hand. Tears are welling in my eyes. Not only will I be able to waste my entire weekend in front of the television watching the CWS, but I'll be doing it on a crystal clear 37" HD. (If the Stanley Cup goes to a game seven, oh baby....)

Unfortunately, due to work constraints my baseball viewing will have to be postoned until Saturday. However, with the Rice v. Georgia first pitch scheduled for Saturday at 1pm CST, that's enough for me. I'll probably pull for Georgia, but my gut's telling me Rice has the upper in that game. It's the Miami v. Oregon State game I'm excited about. Miami wasn't even ranked two weeks ago. That's Miami of Florida, you know, where A-Rod played when he was still Alex. They didn't care. They simply brushed aside the rankings and blugeoned their way into the CWS. Anytime you've got a Miami team with swagger, its gonna be an exciting game.

Kyle is lucky enough to have a team he genuinely cares about in the CWS. (I think I speak for all of us when I say "Congratulations, you son of a bitch"). Me. Not so much. With both Michigan and Texas out of play, I'm left without a true rooting interest. I'm watching anyway.

Pizza? Ordered. Beer? Purchased and in the fridge. Sweatpants? Damn Straight!

It ain't Christmas. But it's close.

Speaking of Which

The Oilers are still alive. Fernando Pisani scores an overtime shortie to bring Edmonton back home for the chance to tie the series. Please God let this go to Game 7.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home