An Annoyed Aside on ND/PSU
If I see one more "
Sportswriters and announcers, by nature, are a panicky group. They're paid to relate what happened, and when there's not enough natural filler to find more. Generally good journalism mandates that the filler be actual useful information rather than uninformed blathering. Not so when Notre Dame is concerned. After a short perusal of the websites and papers, it's apparent none of them watched the ND/PSU game before declaring the upcoming ND/UM game a Domer whitewash.
A few points of note:
2) Charlie Weis is a dick. You’re up four touchdowns and you fake a punt? You’re going for it on fourth down in the fourth quarter up five touchdowns? Classless. Absolutely classless. I know you keep playing till the final gun, but that kind of crap is uncalled for.
3) The PSU secondary is much, much worse than I thought it was. Either the front four are useless or the secondary is riding around on Rascals. They looked slow and out of place. A good portion of that could be the coaches fault. There is no excuse for the soft zones PSU used in goal line situations.
4) Anthony Morelli is not a good quarterback. He looked out of place and scared the entire game. Two things also make it clear he doesn't have much of a memory either. First was his inability to remember that if you throw a ball high enough everyone can get under it. Second was the fact that he has his last name tattooed on his arm, you know, in case he forgets. It’s a much sadder version of Memento.
5) Notre Dame’s defense pitched a shut out into the third quarter and didn’t give up a TD until the final 5 minutes. Kudos. However, I’m still not sold on the Irish defense. Knowing that
6) Other warning bells. The Irish only managed 110 net yards and 145 gained. No. 1 back Darius Walker only managed 56 yards.
7) The Irish gave up three sacks despite having their way with the PSU secondary.
8) Mo Crum can play. MLB for the Irish is set.
9) If Daryll Clark isn't starting for the Nittany Lions at QB next week Joe Pa's needs to get his prescription changed. His arm is stronger. His legs are quicker. And his reads are better.
After watching the game, I wasn’t blown away by the Irish. They looked like a good team that handled an inferior one convincingly. To their credit, this is something