Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Math, Bitches! Math!

I had to shamelessly steal and post this.

Russ at Football Outsiders ran the math on Michigan's run defense so far this year. The reason for this was a simple thought posed by an astute EBSBS commenter:

I gave a rough look at the rushing defense stats earlier. I’m pretty sure you could take Michigan’s sack yards out, allow every other defense in the nation to keep theirs, and Michigan still ranks in the top 10 in rushing defense.


Russ went to town. The entire conversation can be found at EDSBS, but here's the full response without editting:

"Officially, Michigan has allowed 228 yards on 166 carries in seven games, for an average of 1.37 per carry and 32.6 per game, both best in the nation.

But those totals include 24 sacks for -201 yards. Deducting the 24 carries but adding the 201 yards to the above totals means Michigan has allowed 429 yards on 142 carries this season, an average of 3.02 per carry and 61.3 yards per game.

The 61.3 ypg figure would place Michigan 4th in the nation even if everyone else got to keep their sack yardage.

Math bitches, math!"


Out. Friggin'. Standing.



Massive Hat Tips: FO and EDSBS

1 Comments:

At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Russ said...

Thanks for the plug, but I would be remiss if I didn't admit to stealing the idea from the guy who commented 4 posts ahead of me. He came up with the stat, all I did was break out the slide rule.

Oh, and in Brian-UFR style -1 for me for poor use of the comma in "math bitches, math!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home